Day Star Yoga
Open your mind, open your heart, open to Spirit.
I am available for one on one teaching and I also teach at the College of Lake County on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12-12:50 during the school semesters.
It is hard to stay aware and connected to your true self in a world that is always trying to make you into something else. Day Star Yoga, all healing comes from within. Yoga means a union, a yoking. Learning to quiet the mind, connect breath with movement with a focused intention. Stretch, quiet your mind, and take deep breathes as you let go of the days tensions and worries. Connecting with your self, connecting to others, connecting to spirit comes from a place of awareness.
Benefits of Yoga
Pain Prevention: Increased flexibility and strength can help prevent the causes of some types of back pain. Many people who suffer from back pain spend a lot of time sitting at a computer or driving a car. That can cause tightness and spinal compression, which you can begin to address with yoga. Yoga also improves your alignment, both in and out of class, which helps prevent many other types of pain.
Better Breathing: Most of us breathe very shallowly into the lungs and don't give much thought to how we breathe. Yoga breathing exercises, called Pranayama, focus the attention on the breath and teach us how to better use our lungs, which benefits the entire body. Certain types of breath can also help clear the nasal passages and even calm the central nervous system, which has both physical and mental benefits.
Mental Calmness: Yoga asana practice is intensely physical. Concentrating so intently on what your body is doing has the effect of bringing a calmness to the mind. Yoga also introduces you to meditation techniques, such as watching how you breathe and disengagement from your thoughts, which help calm the mind.
Stress Reduction: Physical activity is good for relieving stress, and this is particularly true of yoga. Because of the concentration required, your daily troubles, both large and small, seem to melt away during the time you are doing yoga. This provides a much-needed break from your stressors, as well as helping put things into perspective. The emphasis yoga places on being in the moment can also help relieve stress, as you learn not to dwell on past events or anticipate the future. You will leave a yoga class feeling less stressed than when you started. Read more about yoga for stress management here
Body Awareness: Doing yoga will give you an increased awareness of your own body. You are often called upon to make small, subtle movements to improve your alignment. Over time, this will increase your level of comfort in your own body. This can lead to improved posture and greater self-confidence.
Benefits of Meditation
Learn how to just sit and be. I will instruct you on breathing techniques and how to quiet the mind.
* Deep rest-as measured by decreased metabolic rate, lower heart rate, and reduced work load of the heart.
* Lowered levels of cortisol and lactate-two chemicals associated with stress.
* Reduction of free radicals- unstable oxygen molecules that can cause tissue damage. They are now thought to be a major factor in aging and in many diseases.
* Decreased high blood pressure.
* Higher skin resistance. Low skin resistance is correlated with higher stress and anxiety levels.
* Drop in cholesterol levels. High cholesterol is associated with cardiovascular disease.
* Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing. This has been very helpful to asthma patients.
* Younger biological age. On standard measures of aging, long-term Transcendental Meditation (TM) practitioners (more than five years) measured 12 years younger than their chronological age.
* Higher levels of DHEAS in the elderly; lower levels of DHEAS are associated with aging.
* Increased brain wave coherence. Harmony of brain wave activity in different parts of the brain is associated with greater creativity, improved moral reasoning, and higher IQ.
* Decreased anxiety.
* Decreased depression.
* Decreased irritability and moodiness.
* Improved learning ability and memory.
* Increased self-actualization.
* Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
* Increased happiness.
* Increased emotional stability.
Keep updated on the facebook page and don't forget to think love, be love, extend love.